Take silicone stick-on-bras and boob tape for example. Cheap and easily available, they are seen by some as the ultimate a ‘quick fix’ when you want that bit of lift and support for your backless look. So why then, are they so terrible at actually delivering on their promise? Well, it’s all got to do with gravity and our uniqueness as women.
Here are 4 reasons why stick-on-bras are bad for your backless look.
Stick-on-bras provide no support at all. None. Nada. Zip. And if you are larger than a B-cup, you know you need structured support. I won’t get technical, but over time the Cooper Ligaments that hold our breasts in place stretch and our boobs begin to ‘head south’. It’s biology and it’s inevitable. The only way to slow is down is to have our boobs fully supported to reduce the effect of gravity as much as possible. And this is where stick-on-cups fall flat. They are designed to stick on to your breasts. And because they have no straps or way to lift or support your boobs, all they do is just add extra weight. Not what your Cooper Ligaments - or your confidence - needs when you’re wearing a backless look!
Stick-on-bras will unstick. Hard to imagine considering the industrial-strength glue used, but all adhesive based products loose their stickiness over time. Add body heat and sweat into the mix and you’ll likely be checking to re-stick yourself every few hours! And there is nothing worse than that feeling of imminent garment malfunction to spoil a night out, wedding or date night.
Any product that comes with a health warning should be avoided imho! Some brands even go so far as list the possible side effects that the silicone and the glue may cause including skin irritation, rashes, blistering and occasionally, allergies. In fairness, that might not be true for everyone, but a quick read of online reviews suggest it’s worth bearing in mind - especially if you have sensitive skin. To add insult to injury, stick-on-bras are non-returnable...
Stick-on-cups are made to be binned after just a few uses. It’s a problem not just for your purse, but also for the environment as the silicone used is non-biodegradable and not recyclable. In an age of growing awareness of the polluting effects of fashion, do we really need another throw-away ‘fashion’ gimmick to contribute to more landfill?
Start by changing the way you look at your lingerie. Good lingerie should form the foundation on which to build your fashion look. Choose the correct undergarment, and almost anyone can rock a backless look confidently.
1. For backless, a bodysuit with cup support is best. It has to do with the garment’s balance. Since there’s no back band, your hips need to act as the counterweight to support your breasts and only a bodysuit with structured support can provide this.
2. Always choose a cup style that suits your boobs’ shape and size. For a fuller bust, a soft cup usually wins. Or if you have asymmetric boobs (one larger than the other), a cup that allows you to pad out the smaller side will even out your profile.
3. Pay attention to the details. A good bodysuit should include a hook and eye clasp in the gusset for bathroom calls (yay!) and have interchangeable straps for when you want to swap out or replace fabric straps for clear straps or visa versa.
4. Consider the garment fabric. For comfort, opt for a fabric that is light and breathable, yet still fits snugly. Avoid anything that makes you feel hot and sweaty.
5. Always choose quality over quantity. A well made backless bodysuit like our AMY, UMA or HOLLY may cost you more, but should last you far far longer with giving you confidence every time you wear it. Treat it like a personal investment. You deserve it.
- Asia Smaga, designer & co-founder // ENDER LEGARD
All orders are shipped tracked and insured from London, United Kingdom. Standard Delivery times quoted below are estimates and may vary depending on destination, carrier and customs. Express shipping options are available at checkout.
For RUSH orders from our Made To Order seamless collection, please see our FAQ.
UNITED KINGDOM - £5.70 (7-10 Business Days)
USA & CANADA - USD $23 (7-10 Business Days)
EUROPE - €14 (&-10 Business Days)
AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND from AUD33 - (14 Business Days)
SOUTH & CENTRAL AMERICA from US$26
MIDDLE EAST & ASIA from US$33
SOUTH AFRICA from US$39
DUTIES, TAXES and CUSTOMS CHARGES
If you are based in the USA or Australia, you will not need to pay duty as long as the total value of your purchase does not exceed US$800 or AUD$1,000.
EU Customers & BREXIT. The new UK and EU trade agreement establishes zero tariffs or quotas on trade between the UK and EU where goods meet the relevant rules of origin. For ENDER LEGARD lingerie garments under HS code 6212.10.10 that have been produced in Great Britain or the EU, the relevant EU regulation to claim Preferential (PREF) Duty of 0.0% is D22530/20.
Customers in the EU should therefore not be required to pay additional import duties on their purchase and ENDER LEGARD will always include all necessary commercial export documentation to facilitate customs clearances.
However, where your purchase exceeds the EU goods import threshold value of €139, your national customs department will levy standard VAT on your import.
This will vary depending on your location. For Germany for example, this will be 19%, France 20% etc. In real terms it means that your purchase from ENDER LEGARD should cost more or less the same as prior to BREXIT.
Customers in all other countries not referenced here should check with their relevant Customs Agencies for guidance.
All items are shipped insured and tracked and may need a signature upon delivery at which point responsibility for your purchased goods passes to you. If you have specified a recipient other than yourself for delivery purposes (e.g. as a gift or if you are out) then you accept that evidence of a signature by them (or at the specified delivery address) is evidence of delivery and fulfilment by ENDER LEGARD Ltd and transfer of responsibility in the same way.
If you have additional questions about our delivery policy, call us on +44 (0) 7252 4666 Mon-Fri from 10am - 6pm GMT, or if you prefer email us at customercare @ enderlegard.com
Need more Help or Advice? Our stylists are available on LiveChat, by email, on Messenger or by telephone (+44 207 2524666) Mon to Fri from 10am - 6pm (GMT)
• HOW SOON BEFORE MY WEDDING SHOULD I BUY MY LINGERIE?
• HOW DO I KNOW WHICH STYLE OF BODYSUIT WILL WORK BEST WITH MY DRESS?
• WHICH BRA SHAPE IS BEST FOR ME?
• I NEED BUST SUPPORT BUT I’M ALSO CONSCIOUS OF MY TUMMY AREA, WHAT CAN I WEAR?
• WHAT SIZE SHOULD I ORDER?
• HOW WELL DO ENDER LEGARD GARMENTS FIT?
• HOW DO I KNOW THE LENGTH OF THE BODYSUITS IN YOUR PRODUCT PICTURES?
• I'M A B-CUP. WHY CAN’T I JUST GO BRALESS?
• I’VE GOT A LONG TORSO. HOW DO I KNOW WHAT SIZE TO CHOOSE?
• I’M BRA SIZE 30G AND HAVE VERY NARROW RIBCAGE. WHAT SIZE SHALL I ORDER?
• I HAVE A DARKER/ AFRICAN AMERICAN/ ETHNIC SKIN TONE. WHICH COLOUR BODYSUIT DO YOU RECOMMEND FOR MY WEDDING DRESS?
• MY SEAMSTRESS HAS SUGGESTED SEWING CUPS INTO MY DRESS, BUT I’M NOT SO SURE…
• WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE AN ENDER LEGARD BODYSUIT FOR MY BACKLESS DRESS RATHER THAN STICK ON CUPS?
• SERIOUSLY. WHAT MAKES ENDER LEGARD GARMENTS SO SPECIAL?
• ARE ENDER LEGARD GARMENTS ETHICALLY PRODUCED?